Tinnitus is the hearing of sound when no obvious source of sound is apparent.Tinnitus is often called ringing in the ears that causes damage and loss of the tiny sensory hair cells of the inner ear. It may also sound like ringing, buzz, hissing, chirping, whistling, or other sounds. This noise in ear basically comes from inside your body, rather than from an outside source.Tinnitus isn’t a sickness but a symptom that can result from some of the underlying reasons. One of the most common causes is a noise-induced hearing loss.
Common causes of Tinnitus
- If you have tinnitus you also may suffer from anxiety, depression, or insomnia. Discuss treatments with your doctor
- Stronger medication dose means a chance of a problem
- exposure to a sudden or very loud noise, such as an explosion or gunfire
- an overactive thyroid gland or underactive thyroid gland
- acoustic neuroma – a rare non-cancerous growth that affects the hearing nerve in the inner ear
- Loud sound is able to damage our auditory system and result of tinnitus and sometimes hearing loss as well
Do I have tinnitus?
- Do you take strong dose medications? More than 200 drugs can cause tinnitus so stop taking a drug without talking to the doctor.
- Are you under a lot of stress? Tension, anxiety, and depression can trigger tinnitus. Try relaxation therapy, hypnosis, yoga, or whatever works for you.
- Do you hear noise in the ear that people around you don’t?
Some Sufferers of Tinnitus
- Ronald Regan
- Charles Darwin
- Neil Young
- Eric Clapton
- Ludwig van Beethoven
- Vincent van Gogh
Types of Tinnitus
Tinnitus sounds extraordinary to every person, there are 4 different types: subjective, Objective tinnitus, Auditory hallucinations, Neurological tinnitus. Tinnitus is a fairly commonplace scientific malady that gives in an expansion of approaches. absolutely described, it is a phantom ringing, whooshing, or humming noise to your ear that only you can hear.
- Subjective tinnitus: Subjective: perception of meaningless sounds without any physical sound being present
- Objective tinnitus: objective tinnitus: an extraordinary form of tinnitus that can be resulting from involuntary muscle contractions or vascular deformities.
- Auditory hallucinations: Auditory hallucinations: perceptions of meaningful sounds such as music or speech
- Neurological tinnitus: usually due to a disease, along with Meniere’s disorder, that in most cases affects the brain’s auditory features
Some Subtypes Tinnitus
- Musical tinnitus
- Pulsatile tinnitus
- Low-frequency tinnitus
- Some of the most useful treatments consist of anti-anxiety or antidepressant medicine and from time to time maskers-small gadgets like hearing aids that assist to block out the sound of the tinnitus with “white noise.”
- “Sound therapy” uses outside noises to assist change an affected person’s notion of, or reaction to, tinnitus. these external sounds may additionally mask the tinnitus, or help distract from it
- the majority with tinnitus discover that their symptoms are worse whilst under stress, so relaxation strategies may be beneficial
- In a Cognitive Behavioral Therapy(CBT), are a focus on tinnitus reaction, are among the best established and most effective treatments for tinnitus
- Cochlear implant device is mostly used for severe hearing loss and it is different from hearing aids. It helps the people with a tinnitus-related hearing loss that is significant.