If you’ve been smoking cigarettes for some time now, and you really want to stop, start by trying to quit smoking cold turkey. This is the best and healthiest way to stop smoking, as it quickly disconnects you from the habit and helps you get better quickly.
In case you don’t know what it means to quit cold turkey, here’s it: To stop smoking and completely at once.
However, to quit smoking cold turkey is not easy. And this is because your brain (and body system) fights back for the sudden deprivation of nicotine. (Of course, it will — because you’ve made nicotine your “daily bread” for a long time.)
However, the average nicotine craving, which presses you hard to take a puff, only lasts for some minutes. And this is why you can easily overcome this strong urge whenever it comes.
Here are 25 things you can do to resist the urge to smoke whenever it starts to press hard on you:
- Call a relative friend on phone and chat for minutes
- Go out for a walk
- Stand in front of the mirror and talk or smile to yourself
- Chew gum or take a candy
- Do some exercise (maybe pushups)
- Watch a movie
- Take deep breaths (10-20)
- Walk out to your verandah and gaze at the wonders of nature
- Read a magazine or newspaper
- Drink cold water
- Take some snacks
- Floss and brush your teeth
- Catch fun by playing with a kid
- Do some house chores
- Visit an online support forum
- Catch fun on social media or in a chat room
- Play a board game
- Sing loudly
- Get a digital camera and take pictures
- Hang out at a mall
- Visit the swimming pool
- Get a pen and paper and write anything you feel like writing
- Turn on your favorite music and dance like crazy
- Drink some juice
- Take a nap
Are you still finding it hard to overcome the urge, even with these tips? Then you’ll need the assistance of some quit smoking products.